Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hello Friends

Friends and Family-

It is with a heavy heart that I let you all know that on Monday I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Matt & I have been spending all of our time running from here to there, having tests, meeting with physicians, doing research, calling in well-networked friends and colleagues to assist us during this time.

For background: Last year in May 2006 my Primary Care doctor found a lump in my R breast. I went in and had a mammogram as well as an Ultrasound. Then I met with a breast surgeon just to confirm that the scans were clear. They were and the L side was also scanned at this time.

Two weeks ago when doing my monthly self-exam (gal pals it is time to start doing these!!! You can sign up at www.CheckYourBoobies.org and get a monthly email reminder.) I found a lump under my L armpit. I immediately went in and saw my doctor and she identified 2 lumps in the armpit and one lump in the breast.

My mammogram/ultrasound was scheduled July 9th at 0830. After the Mammo/Ultrasound the Diagnostic Radiologist was concerned and asked that I stay for a Breast MRI. The preliminary results from the mammo-ultrasound-MRI warranted a needle biopsy that same evening. What a day!

Although we only just received the results from these tests and in the meantime I have had a MRI of the Spine and the Brain. I have been diagnosed with Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma of the L breast. There is also a significant amount of metastatic disease that has spread to my spine and skull. I did have a chest x-ray that was clear. This is a good thing. Additionally, today or tomorrow I will have a CT scan of my abdomen, a PET scan and a Bone scan to see just how fast this has spread.

The pathology suggests that this is a hormone reception cancer, which is a good thing. The other side of the coin is that the bone destruction in my spine is so significant that we may have to start chemotherapy next week to arrest the spread in the bones. This is a very aggressive cancer which the doctors are estimating has only been growing for 7 months. In contrast we have had 72 hours to make decisions about how to proceed.

If you need more information to process this (as I did) there are 2 excellent websites (along with a whole host of other not so reputable sites) to get information.

www.cancer.org
www.breastcancer.org

We will need your help and support at this time. The SPD has been very kind and fair to Matt so that he can be with me. As most of you know, I am self-employed at AFLAC and my team is stepping up to the plate to cover me for the next 6 months or more to ensure that my book of business doesn't not close.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Don't be afraid to email or send a note. The phones are a bit busy right now.

We are not planning on telling the girls until this weekend. Please keep this in mind.

Many of you have spent the last years of your life complaining that you can't get a hold of us. Here is the 4-1-1

Matt, Michele, Anya and Mila Hyra

Mailing:
PO BOX 843
Woodinville WA 98072

Home 425-788-1027
Fax 425-844-9765
Michele 206-850-8555
Matt 206-852-7766
email: teamhyra@msn.com

Love, Michele

No comments: