Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Living Will

Once diagnosed with BC at any good medical institution they are going to give you a ton of information. Swedish Cancer Institute is so wonderful. They mailed me about 3 pounds of useful material. Three books, many flyers and even a handy little tote for me to carry around all my new reading material.

Whether or not you answer "yes" to the questions, "Do you have a Will?" or "Do you have an advanced directive?" or "Do you have a Power of Attorney?" you are usually given a little pamphlet titled "Who will decide if you can't?" This is sort of a do-it-yourself health care directive. It is so DIY though that it is available in most pamphlet stands, at most medical centers right next to "How to eat a high fiber diet while on pain medication" or my very favorite, "What to do when you are feeling blue."

When I was filling mine out I was really unenthusiastic because it doesn't look at all like a binding legal document. As if someone is going to show up with this tri-fold at my bedside and the medical staff would immediately stop and say, "That's it, call it, she filled out the DIY pamphlet on the durable power-of-attorney! We're done here!"

I did take the time (about 30 seconds) to fill it out and stuck it on my desk. At the very least if my situation went so far downhill that Matt actually found himself in the position to have to make some horrible decision I felt like I had something in writing . I had also told enough people my desires that if one of the Bush family decided to jump in for my case (a la Terry Schiavo)at least I could line up family and friends on the steps of the State Courthouse in Olympia and they could vouch for me.

Well, today I received this email from my friend Stacey. She is a rock star and I find it humerous. In that I don't have a sister I suppose she would have to play the roll.

Thanks Stacey for being a true sister!


MY LIVING WILL .......


Last night, my sister and I were sitting in the living room and I said to

her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine

and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."


She got up, unplugged the TV, and threw out my wine.


She's such a bitch.....

No comments: